Fall Craft – DIY Custom Chalkboard Signs | CT Portrait Photography
If you’re anything like me, you get a little pang of jealousy every time you go to a wedding or home decor store and see those cute, custom chalkboard signs with the perfect, trendy fonts. Then you go on Etsy or Pottery Barn and check the prices….and quickly decide – maybe next time!
Well I did a little digging and thanks to my BFF youtube.com I discovered they are actually really fun and easy to make! Hooray! All you need are 6 supplies, and a little time and patience.
You will need:
-a chalkboard (if you want it to be re-usable) or any dark, smoothed surfaced sign (I used painted wood for mine)
-chalkboard pens (can be found HERE)
-a print out of the words/phrase you want to replicate (can be made yourself on the computer, or purchased via digital download on Etsy, etc)
How is it done?
- First things first you need to know what you’re going to draw on the chalkboard. Once you’ve found your print out, make sure you cut it to size to fit your chalkboard surface (I leave a little extra paper on top so i can fold it over and tape it down.)
- Now tape it in place.
- Flip your paper over (so you’re looking at the blank back of it) and using your pencil, coler the whole thing using the side of the point.
- When you’re done, flip the paper back on top of your chalkboard.
- Start tracing! You’ll want to use the pencil and press down hard while you trace the OUTLINE of your letters/pictures.
- When you’re done, flip the paper off the chalkboard and you will have a perfectly transferred pencil outline of your design.
- Now use your chalk pen to fill in the lines on the chalkboard (careful not to smudge!) and you’re done! How easy is that?! The best part is that the chalkboard pens will wash off so you can re-use your chalkboard again and again.
PS – As a little gift, you can download this “trick or treat” print out HERE.
TOO CUTE! So clever! I need to try this soon 🙂